Digital Customer Experience Director with over 20 years experience across all areas of digital, online and mobile. Passionate about creating exceptional digital customer experiences I have delivered award-winning digital experiences for global brands including American Express, Barclays, Expedia, O2 and Vodafone.
Specialisms include leading cross-functional teams to deliver transformational digital projects in both eCommerce and servicing, optimisation of eCommerce journeys through A/B, MVT and personalisation and team design and development.
Nodal Consulting – Principal Consultant & Founder
September 2016 to Present
Homebase – Head of Digital Channels
January to April 2016
Responsible for the leadership and development of the Digital Channels team comprising Product Management, Digital Design, Technical Solutions and Quality Assurance.
Product Management – cemented AGILE as chosen development methodology expanding from 2 to 4 Scrum teams. Trained as a Certified Scrum Product Owner to facilitate a better understanding of AGILE and Scrum. Defined a product roadmap for the 4 Scrum teams across a matrix of customer journeys and digital channels.
O2 Telefónica UK – Head of Online Creative and User Experience
February 2014 to September 2015
Engaged on an interim basis to lead and develop the O2 Digital Customer Experience team comprising User Experience, Visual Design, Content and Analytics and Optimisation teams. Responsible for O2 website, online store, MyO2 and all O2 iOS, Android and Windows apps.
Under my management O2 won Website of the Year in 2014 and 2015.
eCommerce Store Redesign – As business and customer experience owner I led a cross-function team comprising Product Management, Technology, UX, Design and external agency resource in a complete redesign of the O2 online shop. Balancing user centered design with business goals the redesign has created frictionless user journeys that delivered an increase in insurance attachment of 32%, accessory attachment of 60% and a conversion uplift of 11%.
Site Optimisation – Business owner for a project to optimise the acquisition journeys in the Online Shop, and establish a test and learn culture within O2. Managed a combined team of internal and external resources to deliver MVT and A/B/n tests via Adobe Target. The project has to delivered a conversion uplift of 18% with a pipeline of tests to May 2016.
My O2 Vision – Led a project to create a vision for My O2 – this year, next year and beyond. Focussed on creating a single digital access point for all of a customer’s relationships with O2 from account management to Priority via a personalised and customisable customer experience.
Personalisation – Led a project to run a proof of concept of personalisation across website and online shop. Reviewed and selected technology supplier, defined the vision for personalisation and defined the workflow.
Data Calculator – As business owner for a new tariff finder and data calculator I set the vision of a tool based on customer’s mental models avoiding the clichéd slider based interface of our competitors. The end result is an innovative and highly engaging tool that has tested well with users and I anticipate delivering significant upsell.
Creative Team – a key part of my remit was to review and develop the creative team. I restructured where required to create a stronger team that has delivered award winning work and a significant uplift in the annual staff satisfaction survey.
First Utility – Head of Online Experience
February 2013 to August 2013
Engaged on an interim basis by independent energy company First Utility to completely redesign their online experience, and to define and recruit their new Online Experience team.
Public Website – Led a complete redesign of First Utility’s public website to align with corporate rebranding and create a new digital acquisition channel. Traffic to key pages increased by up to 2000%. Won 2014 Utility Website of the Year.
My Account – Led discovery and design phases of redesign. Deliverables: requirements, wireframes, working prototype and carried out initial round of user testing.
Mobile – Provided UX and UI consultancy to ensure alignment of native apps with public site and My Account redesign.
Team – Designed team structure and roles for a new Online Experience function. Successfully recruited all open roles.
Expedia.com – Director User Experience
December 2009 to December 2012
Led the Expedia Affiliate Network User Experience and Site Optimisation teams – responsible for all partner and consumer facing digital developments.
White Label Solution – Initiated and led a complete redesign of EAN’s template product Chameleon.
- Conducted heuristic reviews of competitor sites to identify best practices.
- Created wireframes and visual designs then moved to a full HTML prototype.
- Adopting an AGILE approach the prototype was iterated in weekly sprints.
- Carried out two rounds of lab-based user testing incorporating the findings into the prototype.
- Designed a simplified partner interface: reducing the number of settings from 96 to 16.
- A/B tests showed a 14% uplift in conversion.
Mobile – Designed native apps for iPhone and Android smartphones for use in a Mobile SDK to be used by partners to create own native apps.
Mobile Chameleon – led two-phased approach to deliver mobile Chameleon.
- Selected vendor Mobify for ‘proof of concept’ trial of mobile sites with select partners.
- Designed a smartphone website that would share all partner settings from ‘desktop’ site.
Chameleon For iPad – Added tablet specific enhancements to utilize the touch interface including: location awareness via GPS, full screen maps and ‘Swipable’ image galleries featuring full screen images.
Site Optimisation – Managed the Site Optimisation team based in Dallas.
- Reviewed MVT software solution and selected Sitespect as best suited to our needs as a multi-partner business.
- Deployed a number of successful A/B and multivariate tests and designed a pipeline of tests.
- Initiated SEM campaign to ensure sufficient traffic for faster statistically significant tests.
Team – Successfully recruited and managed a high performing team of IA, Designer and Developer.
- Seamlessly incorporated existing US based Site Optimisation team.
- Established new processes, workflow and shared tools for collaborative working and partner engagement.
Barclaycard – Senior Online Innovation Manager
April 2007 to December 2009
Responsible for user experience design and consultancy, identifying new digital technology and trends, assessing them and bringing to Barclaycard if beneficial to business.
Mybarclaycard – Led a complete redesign and re-imagining of the Barclaycard online account area.
- Managed an external agency for the discovery and design phases.
- Carried out a series of requirements gathering interviews with internal and external stakeholders.
- Worked through wireframes, to design and then to working prototypes.
- Created a revolutionary interface approach now copied by several competitors.
- Carried out lab-based user testing with existing and prospective credit card customers.
- Ran a series of usability sessions with internal stakeholders.
- Launched to exceptionally positive customer feedback: averaging 14 out of 15 for satisfaction.
- Commended by Design Week.
- Won Best Online Initiative at the Card Awards.
Next Generation Application Form – User-centered redesign of the online card application form, a key acquisition tool for Barclaycard.
- Reviewed existing forms and removed nine fields that captured data that was not stored.
- Focused on the route to completion to deliver a form that was ‘transparent’ to users.
- Completion rates increased by 59%.
Mobile – Designed and developed an iPhone web application to support the launch of the OnePulse card.
- The app pulled London news and information from the BBC and thelondonpaper.
- Offers were displayed to users via the Barclaycard twitter feed.
- The code was repurposed and distributed as desktop widgets for each of the widget systems e.g. Google Desktop.
Social Media – Developed Barclaycard’s social media strategy based upon three key principles: listening, talking and supporting.
- Created the “Green-o-Meter” the first Facebook application from a UK financial services company.
Vodafone UK – Online Manager
July 2006 to April 2007
Working in partnership with the Enterprise Marketing team to deliver key online developments: Corporate Collaboration Zone and The Big Idea Website built to support Vodafone’s Big Idea television show.
American Express – Senior Manager Online Customer Experience
October 2003 to July 2006
Responsible for the creation and management of strategic customer experience developments across 21 International websites. Managed a programme of projects that changed the face of American Express’ international websites and were nominated for the American Express Chairman’s Award for Innovation.
Online Services – Led the redesign of MYCA, American Express’ secure card management area.
Homepage – Scoped and designed new dynamic homepage focussed on consumer card acquisition and customer loyalty programs. The page intelligently delivered personalised and appropriate content to both existing customers and prospects.
Japan Website – Led a program of 6 projects to redesign the entire Japan site from homepage to secure card account area. The redesigned site won an award for Excellence in Marketing Communications.
3Com – Global Web Marketing Manager
October 2000 to October 2002
Psion – New Media Manager
May 1997 to October 2000
British Standards Institution – Marketing Executive
March 1993 to May 1997
The Marketing Organisation – Campaign Executive
January 1992 to February 1993